The Anthropology of Global Health
Module Title: The Anthropology of Global Health, Word Limit: 2,500 words
Answer the following question
Use ethnographic examples to illustrate your answer.
1. What can rumours surrounding public health campaigns tell us about the wider context in which these campaigns take place
Learning outcomes and assessment
1. To understand the differences and similarities in the theories and methods employed by epidemiologists, biosocial anthropologists and critical medical anthropologists in the study of inequality, disease and illness.
2. To analyse and critique the re-configuration of institutions involved in global health policy and the consequences that this is having for the health of populations
3. Draw upon the approaches employed by critical medical anthropologists, clinically applied medical anthropologists and biosocial anthropologists to analyse the construction of contemporary global health problems such as the HIV pandemic
4. Understand and apply anthropological concepts, anthropological methods and the explanations they make possible and use ethnographic evidence in relation to explanation.