Module 3 – SLP:TRANSFORMATIONAL/TRANSACTIONAL LEADERSHIP, LEADERSHIP STYLE APPROACH, GLASS CEILING
There have been many studies completed on the different styles of leadership. One of the most important ones focused on if a leader is “task focused” or “relationship
For this SLP, you will complete a short survey and then analyze your results.
Refer to the required and optional readings on leadership style found in the Background readings.
Session Long Project
Drawing on the material in the background readings and doing additional research, please prepare a 2- page paper that addresses the following question:
Are you a Type A or Type B leader? What strengths do you have as this kind of leader? What are the weaknesses? Give examples from your experience to illustrate.
Take the following task vs. relationship leadership survey. After you have completed the survey, add up your scores for tables 1 and 2 to determine your dominant
leadership style. To determine your dominant personal leadership style, circle one of the following options that best describes how you see yourself (or the person
that is being evaluated) regarding each statement. For each statement, you can indicate the degree to which you (or the person being evaluated) engage(s) in the stated
behavior. A rating of 1 means Never and a rating of 5 means Always with the person demonstrating the specific behavior.
Table 1 – “A” Style and Orientation
Table 2 – “B” Style and Orientation
A = Task Orientation Scores: ___
B = Relationship Orientation Scores: ___
· 45-50 Very high range
· 40-44 High range
· 35-39 Moderately high range
· 30-34 Moderately low range
· 25-29 Low range
· 10-24 Very low range
Keys to the Assignment
The key aspects of this assignment that, at a mimimum, should be covered in your presentation include:
· Thoroughly analyzing the survey and its results, and how you plan on using your results to become a more influential leader.
· Discussing whether you think it is more beneficial for a leader to be focused on tasks or relationships in an organization. Please provide examples to justify
· Applying the background readings to this point to yourself/the survey results, and explaining the survey results in terms of previous theories you have learned.
· Dealing with these issues in an integrated fashion, rather than treating them as a series of individual questions to be answered one by one and left at that.
You will be particularly assessed on:
· Your completion of all the steps in the exercise.
· Your ability to synthesize information and present a concise and meaningful paper.
· The clarity and quality of your writing.
SLP Assignment Expectations
Your paper will be evaluated using the following five criteria:
· Assignment-Driven Criteria (Precision and Breadth): Does the paper fully address all Keys to the Assignment? Are the concepts behind the Keys to the Assignment
addressed accurately and precisely using sound logic? Does the paper meet minimum length requirements?
· Critical Thinking (Critical Thinking and Depth): Does the paper demonstrate graduate-level analysis, in which information derived from multiple sources, expert
opinions, and assumptions has been critically evaluated and synthesized in the formulation of a logical set of conclusions? Does the paper address the topic with
sufficient depth of discussion and analysis?
· Business Writing (Clarity and Organization): Is the paper well written (clear, developed logically, and well organized)? Are the grammar, spelling, and
vocabulary appropriate for graduate-level work? Are section headings included in all papers? Are paraphrasing and synthesis of concepts the primary means of responding
to the Keys to the Assignment, or is justification/support instead conveyed through excessive use of direct quotations?
· Effective Use of Information (Information Literacy and References): Does the paper demonstrate that the student has read, understood, and can apply the
background materials for the module? If required, has the student demonstrated effective research, as evidenced by the student’s use of relevant and quality sources?
Do additional sources used in the paper provide strong support for conclusions drawn, and do they help in shaping the overall paper?
· Citing Sources: Does the student demonstrate understanding of APA Style of referencing by inclusion of proper end references and in-text citations (for
paraphrased text and direct quotations) as appropriate? Have all sources (e.g., references used from the Background page, the assignment readings, and outside
research) been included, and are these properly cited? Have all end references been included within the body of the paper as in-text citations?