Discussion 1. Identify a nursing care problem or issue that is NOT related to staffing. Explain the problem in a paragraph. Then,
• Describe the problem solving/decision making approach that you and other nurses could use to creatively address this nursing care problem or issue.
• What research, best practices, decision making grids, new equipment/supplies, education, new technology, consultation, etc. might be considered in this decision-making process?
Discussion 2)Discuss the following staffing/scheduling practices and how they can support patient care
• mandatory staffing ratios
Discussion 3) Identify a time when you had to make a change in your personal or professional life. Describe a change theory that helps explain the process you used to approach this change situation.What were your priorities at the time that impacted your change decision? Was your change successful? If not, what lessons did you learn from the process?
Discussion 4) Briefly discuss one of the following sets of budget concepts:
• HMOs, PPOs
*In addition to your initial response, describe one or more strategies nurses can use to increase cost effective use of resources in a health care setting.
Discussion 5)Describe a situation related to patient advocacy. Discuss the ethical and legal components of the situation. Share how you would or did advocate for the patient in that situation. Discuss potential barriers to advocacy in the situation. How would you manage the barriers?
Discussion 6)Describe a time when you experienced a communication breakdown and with whom.
• What was the situation?
• What style of communication was used: assertive, aggressive, passive/aggressive, passive?
• What environmental, biological, or personal or cultural issues may have impacted the communication process (e.g. stereotypes, biases, difference in values, preferences, gender, race and age)?
• What efforts were made to improve the communication? Were the efforts effective? If not, what other strategies might have been used to improve the communication outcome?
In addition to your initial post, describe an example of effective (or ineffective) nursing delegation. What delegation principles were (or were not) followed? What can be learned from this example?
Discussion 7) Provide an example from your own experience of a conflict situation.
1. Describe the source(s)/reasons for the conflict.
2. Who was involved and what communication styles were used?
3. How did the conflict impact persons directly or indirectly involved?
4. What strategies were used to try to resolve the conflict? Were they effective?
5. What outcomes were achieved?
Discussion 8) Explain one or more ways nurses can become involved in setting and auditing patient care standards or participating in other quality control/improvement activities within their organization.