The US Constitution established the federal government and defined the rights and personal liberties of the American people. There were three plans that had a major impact on the creation of the US Constitution: the Virginia Plan, the New Jersey Plan, and the Connecticut Plan, otherwise referred to as the Great Compromise.
Using the Internet, review and examine the following primary source documents associated with these plans:
1. “The Virginia Plan”.
2. “The New Jersey Plan”.
3. “The Connecticut Compromise”.
Based on all your research and analysis of the readings for the module, describe the framework of the three plans that made up the US Constitution. Be sure to address the following:
1. Identify the leaders of each of the three plans and describe their influence on the proceedings.
2. Describe the features of the Virginia Plan that influenced the final language in the Constitution.
3. Describe the features of the New Jersey Plan that were adopted into the Constitution.
4. Discuss the reasons why the Connecticut Compromise or the Great Compromise was such a key event in the creation of the Constitution.
5. From your twenty-first century vantage point and considering the area in which you reside, what feature in either the Virginia Plan or the New Jersey Plan was the most important and the one you would have supported? Support your rationale with scholarly references.